Nordic Lift Standardization
The purpose of INSTA/M Hiss committee is to support and strengthen the cooperation between the five Nordic National Standards Bodies (NSBs) regarding both technical and policy issues.
The work in INSTA contains following issues.
- Drafting and maintaining INSTA lift standards to:
- share and harmonize good practises among member countries;
- improve safety of the installed lifts;
- collect, share and analyse accident data among Nordic countries. This accident data can be used in development of standards and guidances.
- There is also a web-tool, based on standard INSTA 500-1, available for reporting accidents and near accidents.
- Other issues:
- Follow-up of CEN/ISO work;
- Follow-up of Notified Body for Lifts;
- Follow-up of EU Commission Lift working Group;
- Follow-up of ADCO for Lifts (Administrative co-operation between the member states);
- Sharing and developing knowledge within the lift business area;
- Networking between Nordic inspection, standardization and lift experts;
- Networking between Nordic national authorities and market surveillance authorities.
- INSTA 500-1:2013 Accident recording system for lifts, lifting platforms, escalators and moving walks
- INSTA 500-2:2017 Periodic safety inspection on lifts, stair lifts, lifting platforms, escalators and moving walks
- INSTA 730:2017 Steel wire ropes for lifts. Code of practice for discard
Publications can be acquire from Member countries national standardization bodies:
- Denmark: DS webstore, https://webshop.ds.dk/en-gb/frontpage
- Finland: SFS webstore, https://sales.sfs.fi/en/index.html.stx
- Iceland: IST webstore, https://stadlar.is/stadlabudin/
- Norway: SN webstore, https://www.standard.no/en/webshop/
- Sweden: SIS webstore, https://www.sis.se/en/standards/buyastandard/
- prINSTA 500-3 Safe working on lifts
- prINSTA 500-4 Lift modernization
Finnish lift expert Ilkka Mäntyvaara has written an INSTA history (1989 – 2005).
For further information about the ongoing work, published standards or other issues, please address your national standardisation body or INSTA/M Hiss secretariat.
Currently INSTA/M Hiss secretariat is held by SFS (METSTA). Secretary is Jukka-Pekka Rapinoja (firstname.lastname@example.org).